Monday, July 07, 2008

From a reader in Massachusetts

Like most daily newspapers, The Star receives feedback and comments from its readers on a consistent basis. It's part of the lifeblood of any good publication.

Recently, The Star received a letter to the editor from a former Calhoun County resident who now lives in Massachusetts. His desire was to tell young residents of Hobson City and other parts of the county that getting an education and working hard was critical to their futures.

Here's his letter, which we printed last week:

To Calhoun County's youth: Keep the American dream alive

I was born in Hobson City and attended Calhoun County Training School, receiving an excellent education. My places of employment were both in Anniston and Oxford. Prior to retirement as a clinical social worker, I was a drug and alcoholism counselor for district court programs, hospitals and residential mental health programs.

I served four years in the U.S. Navy and was also employed as a federal civil service employee with the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.

This letter is to encourage the youth of Anniston, Oxford and Hobson City and nearby areas to devote the full measure to their education and service to the country, and they, too, will enjoy keeping "The American Dream" alive.

Now at age 72 1/2, I am so very, very proud of the early education that I received that gave me the greatest foundation to become a productive citizen.

Levi M. Wright
Worcester, Mass.


And here's the letter we received from Mr. Wright today:

To whom it may concern:

This brief note is to thank the staff at The Anniston Star for printing my letter so promptly. Today I received three very positive telephone calls from citizens in Hobson City.

I shall remain forever grateful,

Levi M. Wright