Friday, September 26, 2008

A personal story re Larry Munson

Today's editorial tribute to Georgia football announcer Larry Munson reminds me of a story.

I was interning at CNN Sports in the mid-1980s. Through my bosses there I got a job as a go-fer as a sportscasting camp. One job was looking after the guest speakers - setting them up in the green room, fetching coffee and snacks, and generally making them comfortable.

I recall meeting Larry Munson in the parking lot on his day to speak with the sportscasting wannabes. I introduced myself, told him how much time we had before he spoke and then asked if he needed anything on that early Sunday morning.

He turned to me and said in that same voice that thrilled UGA fans, "A cup of coffee. My Gawd, I need a cup of coffee." It was a magic moment.