Friday, September 07, 2007

Capital reading

We've got a couple of Washington-based books this week on Bookshelf. They may both be based in D.C., but aside from that, they are worlds apart! One is a novel called Trudy Hopedale, a sly satire on the politicking and social lives of the strange beings who inhabit our nation's capital. The second book is a very serious expose on the history of the CIA, Legacy of Ashes. Trudy Hopedale doesn't paint a pretty picture of its characters, and Legacy of Ashes doesn't paint a terribly hopeful picture of our nation's 60-year-old top-secret agency. Unfortunately, one can't laugh at the latter.
Meanwhile, I have stacks of new books arriving in my office every week. Some I toss on sight. I'm guessing we don't need reviews of any bodice-rippers, right? I also generally don't review books that are reprints or not pretty much published in the past 4 to 6 months. We do aim to be a NEWSpaper here, so I'd like to tell our discerning readers about the new books that are noteworthy. But any gleaning aside, that still leaves me so many books, so little time and space. I could lament this every week. But those we can't review, we donate. Some end up at the library so its patrons can read them, even if we couldn't.
Please don't hesitate to contact me and let us know how we're doing. Have you read a book we've reviewed and completely agreed with our reviewer -- or completely disagreed? Has a review led you to a fine read you never would have picked up otherwise? I hope so.