Friday, July 27, 2007

The Star sees "The Simpsons"






Last night, six Star staffers went to a midnight showing of "The Simpsons Movie" at (the county's only) movie theater in Oxford. We also bought an assorted dozen of Lamar's donuts for the occasion...mmmm.....donuts.


The good: The movie was short. In an era of two-and-a-half hour snoozers, it was a nice change of pace. It also harkens back to the show's roots as a family comedy, exploring the relationships between the Simpsons clan. And of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Homer's love affair with "Spider Pig."



The Bad: This is just me being a picky fanboy, but I wish they'd beefed up Mr. Burns' role a bit. For those of you not familiar with the show, Burns is Homer's boss at the nuclear power plant and an all-around evil guy. It doesn't kill the movie for me but if I definitely thought they could've made better use of a great character.


A good time was had by all. And I got the feeling the creators could do this again with minimal effort. We'll see.